Tuesday, February 23, 2010

I believe ...


So the Olympics have arrived and I am firmly on my couch, in luge position, watching everything and anything. I know I've already mentioned my love of curling, but the Olympics brings this obessession to a whole new level. It helps that our Canadian teams are both doing so well. Even Gretzky was impressed (they interviewed him at one of the round robin matches this week ... he's a big fan apparently. Randomly so is Carl Lewis. Yes, the sprinter). Moving on from curling, I am equally obessesed with snowboard cross, ski cross, moguls, skeleton, bobsleigh, xcountry skiing, downhill skiing, the list goes on and on. It also helps that I got to go to Olympics this year as they are just a hop skip and a jump from Calgary. Last week I was lucky enough to see the cauldron and take in a few hockey games ... plus I got to see some of my fave people in the world so that helped to. So, below a list of my favourite Olympic moments thus far - both official game moments and just me and my friends hanging out during the Olympics. We are at day 12 already and I haven't posted anything yet, so this is an incomplete list, in no particular order and will be added to in the next few days):
1) Jenn Heil wins silver ... she was expected to win gold, but I don't care, silver is still amazing ... the speed, the steepness and the size of the bumps is insane and the fact that she is so good, is so incredible
2) Alex Bilodeau wins gold ... the big story is about his brother, but my favourite moment was on the NBC feed when right after they finished interviewing him, his girlfriend arrived, they started making out and Bob Costas deadpans "I think it goes without saying that it will be a great Valentine's Day for Bilodeau"
3) the orcas at the opening ceremony
4) while I think it was a bit ridiculous that Wayne Gretzky rode in the back of a pick up truck to light the outside cauldron, I loved the crazy waiters running beside him
5) watching the Opening Ceremony while BB messaging with KM in Fredericton ... sometimes technology is just awesome
6) the hug between Clara Hughes and Kristina Groves when they realized she had won the bronze medal
7) the fact that Jon Montgomery has a turtle on his helmet
8) Jon Montgomery drinking a pitcher of beer walking through Whistler village
9) Tore Vikingstad's hat trick at the Switzerland - Norway game (it helped that I was there to enjoy it in person!)
10) our awesome seats at the US - Norway hockey game
11) my friend MM hailing us a limo to get us home after dinner at Chambar last Friday night ... oh and the fact that there was a limo traffic jam in front of her house.
12) Anja Parson of Sweden winning a bronze in the super combined after a horrific fall at the women's downhil..
13) the pants of the Norwegian curling team
14) my new Norges Ishockeyforbund (Norwegian ice hockey federation) hat
15) sitting in the sun on the steps of the art gallery watching people zip line through downtown Vancouver
16) high fiving the random American at Hub in Yaletown after Sid scored the winning shoot-out goal against Switzerland
17) MM saying "the russians are coming" when a group of russians took our table at Yoji's sushi
18) Virtue and Moir's free and original dances ... both were beautiful
19) any type of slow motion montage put to music
20) Tom Brokaw explains Canada to Americans

And finally, not really a favourite moment, but a memorable one - the fact that Joannie Rochette skated a clean short program 3 days after her mother died. She's in 3rd place right now. Amazing. That girl has guts ... the expression on her face as she finished made me bawl.

And I can't believe it, but I am not sick of the CTV "I believe" theme song yet ... in fact, I seem to hum it all the time. Who knew it would be catchy instead of annoying? Here is a picture I took of the cauldron - just to prove I was actually there.

No comments:

Post a Comment